Contractors: Show Us Your Green Side for America Recycles Day
America Recycles Day is November 15 and GAF is marking the occasion now until November 20 by asking our contractors to share with the world on social media how you are recycling.
Show your green side by simply snapping a photo of yourself in action and posting it on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram. Be sure to tag GAF and use the hashtag #RecyclingSelfie.
This will remind your friends and followers of the importance of recycling shingles and making an impact on the green building movement. Also, you may use the hashtag #AmericaRecyclesDay to share your own tips.
America Recycles Day, a program of Keep America Beautiful, is a nationally recognized day dedicated to promoting and celebrating recycling in the United States. Every year on or around November 15 (America Recycles Day), event organizers educate neighbors, friends, and colleagues through thousands of events.
While there are many benefits to recycling shingles (such as making new roads, which is the number one use of recycled shingles), there are also misconceptions. Here are five considerations to help make your business green:
- Most major markets have shingle recycling available. If you are unsure where to go, check out www.shinglerecycling.org or www.earth911.com, or call 1-800-CLEANUP.
- If you’re not sure if you’re dealing with a legitimate recycler, don’t use them. The resources above can help you find a reputable person that will recycle shingles properly.
- Recycling saves money. It’s cheaper to recycle than to bring the materials to a landfill, as there are fewer lines and less travel time involved.
- Leave the nails in the shingles—they will be pulled out by strong magnets during the recycling process.
- Homeowners care. Share with them your recycling practices and what percent of materials can be recycled. This shows you care about the environment and your customers.