Q & A with Roofing Expert, Helene Hardy Pierce
Our first guest is Helene Hardy Pierce, FRCI, the Vice President of Technical Service, Codes & Industry Relations at GAF. She is a great contributor to the GAF and roofing industry.
- For someone just starting in the roofing industry, what is your best tip? Ask lots of questions, listen, treat people with respect, and do what you say you are going to do!
- What was your greatest challenge, and how did you conquer it? Being accepted in an industry that does not have a lot of women in it and accepted in terms of others realizing I might have something to contribute. I don’t know that I’ve conquered it, but following the advice of asking lots of questions, listening, respecting others and their opinions, and trying
to do what I say I am going to do has been a great roadmap to being able to contribute to our industry.
- Your go-to tool is…That’s easy–reading! There is so much available to learn from and with information today literally at your fingertips, being able to find answers may take a little digging, but there is a wealth of information that you can find to help you just have to take a bit of a skeptic’s eye to what you’re reading and season it with your own experience
- What do you like better, sunrises or sunsets? Sunsets… always looking for the red sky at night to make looking forward to the next day that much better!
- What’s on your music playlist these days? The soundtrack from Rock of Ages and great 1980’s rock music!