5 Things to Advise New Homeowners About Their Roof
Homeownership is an exciting venture, but for those first-timers, it can also be a scary step. Not only does owning a home introduce buyers to the daunting mortgage process, but there are many things about their home they need to understand to ensure that it will protect their loved ones for many years to come. Here are some tips contractors can offer new homeowners so they are prepared for the unexpected issues that may come their way.
- Get a roof inspection. Every home needs an inspection before it is sold, but most of the time a house inspector does not climb up on the roof. Tell a homeowner that it’s best to hire a roofing professional to advise of any upgrades or repairs that need to be addressed.
- Get a guarantee. Advise homeowners to get a guarantee of the work a contractor does for them. Have them ask for documentation such as a license number, so they know to work only with a reputable contractor. Send them to our blog post on 10 Tips to Help Homeowners Choose the Right Roofing Contractor for help with what to look for.
- Learn about roof options. New homeowners especially are not aware of the many choices they have in roofing materials. If energy efficiency is important, advise them of which ones will save them money on their heat or air conditioning bills. If they live in an area that is prone to storms or hail, explain the benefits of choosing impact-resistant shingles.
- Invest in preventive maintenance. Tell a homeowner that addressing minor issues ahead of time can potentially avoid large, expensive repairs.
- Point out the trouble spots. Homeowners should be aware of leak-prone areas such as skylights, flashing, and gutters and learn how to properly take care of them.
A new homeowner who is prepared and informed about their roof can better identify problems and help ensure their new home will protect them and provide a safe haven for their family to enjoy.